Mrs. Novak

Welcome to my world!! Let the fun begin.

Friday, August 6, 2010

Preperation

There has been so much going on since I received the job offer. First of all, it never seems real. It wasn't until I signed my contract that I believed it was actually real. But, even then I felt like I was on a rug that could be pulled out from under me at any time.

The reason I felt that way is because they had said when they hired me that at any time, if Kindergarten didn't get the numbers they needed, they would have to lay me off. I took the job knowing full well, all my dreams could be crushed by the simple act of staff shuffling. Today I feel safe.

This week I got my keys and I was told the numbers are better than good. I am safe! So, with my own children in tow and my keys in my hand I embraced a dream come true. I have a job, I have a class and I have students. this is truly going to happen. My team leader, I will call her 007 for the purpose of this blog. Trust me, there is a reason behind that. I am not just pulling a name from a hat. Anyway, 007 gets very emotional about me being a brand new teacher. She actually tears up when she sees me. This year is special for the both of us. She is finding herself in the team leader position after only three years of teaching with two newbies under her wing. It is really exciting for all of us. Stepping into my room was truly unreal.

I opened the door with ease and my eyes and mind left on a whirlwind adventure. My eyes scoped out my new stomping ground with eagerness. My mind raced. Where does a new teacher begin. How does a new teacher begin. I had no idea what to do first. It was really scary. My kids were slapping me high fives and I was simply over joyed. I began with going through things. I had no idea what I needed or even what I had for that matter. I still don't know what I have in that closet of supplies. I have spent quite a bit of money so far, but I am happy to do so but with a paycheck several weeks away I am really tapped out.

That kind of worries me because I know I could use some more stuff. My husband has made me a chart stand by hand, which I needed. I found one small bookshelf in my room but no chapter books. The thing that astonishes me is you have to have books in your room so your kids can read and take tests but the books aren't provided. I have scoured my town looking for things I can use. I found about a hundred chapter books but they don't even fill one shelf on my tiny book shelf. The district gives each teacher a two hundred dollar spending allowance but that was nearly completely eaten up by the purchase of maps for the wall. I was able to get alot of basic stuff like pencils, white boards, sentence strips and the like but there are still things I need.

I need shelves for supplies and organization and bulletin board stuff and other storage containers and the reason it is a need is because an organized classroom runs better. If a classroom runs smoother then the kids will learn better. I am not just being over prepared. I am truly doing what is necessary. But when the funds run out, what can you do. You have to just work with what you have.

On Monday I will begin my job. I will go for the first time to meet the staff and do meetings, training and orientations. The meetings will be all week long. I am excited. On the 12th of August I will be having my meet the teacher night.....talk about scary!!

1 comment:

Ester said...

Tammy, you're amazing! What you're doing truly shows how committed & dedicated you are! Those are some of the best qualities in great teachers! Oh yeah, did I mention selfless? I cannot believe how little money you get to prepare your classroom for your students...it is really sad! Thank God for teachers like you! But like you said, "You have to just work with what you have." That is so true & what the students will have, or I should say "who" will be what matters the most & what will make their 3rd grade experience is a memorable one. Any questions you have, please just call me. You'll do great at meet the teacher night...I have no doubts about it.